NOTICE: In order to keep our site FREE to readers, we may receive a commission qualifying purchases through the Amazon Associates program. Thanks!
Thank you, guest author Ruth Randall, for this beautiful Halloween craft!
Sidewalk chalk takes on a whole new look this time of year. Making chalk rubbings on black construction paper gives it a ghostly appearance and can make for some spooky monster shapes.
Check out this EASY info on how to create your own spooky chalk rubbings for your Halloween decor. Fun!
- Sidewalk or other chalk, or crayons
- Construction paper – especially black
- Aerosol hair spray
- Shapes to rub: leaves and/or Halloween cut outs
- Textured papers or cloth
This is a simple project that even a 2-year-old can get into and enjoy!
1. Lay your choice of shape on the counter or other hard surface. You can do one shape at a time or lay several out at once. However, we found that leaves get lost in each other if they all get put down together.
2. Lay the construction paper over the shape(s).
3. With the chalk on its long side, begin rubbing. Depending on how distinct each shape is you may have to rub harder or softer.
4. When you are satisfied with your rubbing, hold the hairspray at a distance and spray it to hold the chalk in place. If you get it too close, the picture will disappear; but I’m happy to report that, eerily, your picture will return once it dries.
5. If you chose to use crayons you’ll need to be more careful in holding the paper in place because they do not move as smoothly as the chalk does.
Each of these pumpkins was rubbed separately with a single shape. After each pumpkin appeared we moved the pumpkin shape underneath to a different spot:
For the monsters we used grape leaves and then added the eyes after removing the leaf from under the paper. The purple monster is made with a whole leaf, the blue “bat’ was made after I tore the leaf a bit. Some of the shapes we used came from tracing cookie cutters on paper and then cutting out the shape.
You can also find shape inspiration by using Google Images to find clip art of Halloween themes or anything else you can imagine!
These tree-looking rubbings were made with a weed grass that still carried lots of seeds. The seeds gave quite a nice effect. Using different colored chalks and letting them blend together is a nice way to create a deeper visual. We used several different colors of paper, but the most stunning effects were achieved with the black construction paper.
Chalk Rubbings at Your Halloween Party
These chalk rubbings can become a fun game at a party, too! Get a roll of butcher paper (which you can buy in black) and cover your table with it or hang it along the wall. Offer a prize to whoever colors the best leaf or shape or whoever finds the biggest leaf/shape.
You can also offer a “booby” prize – at least that’s what we called it when I was a kid: a prize for whoever is furthest from the mark. The idea, of course, is to have a lot of fun!
Another neat idea is to take butcher paper to a graveyard and make rubbings of old gravestones to decorate your house with. Let your imagination take you through the year with chalk rubbings.