These sweet, squishy Halloween treats look positively unnerving staring up from a party platter. For the ultimate in gross realism, the eyeballs gush “eyeball jelly” when eaten. Gross… but very tasty!
Kids love these, but they do have a lot of sugar. So, unless you have padded walls, it is probably best to make sure they have an outside activity to do afterwards – trick-or-treating, perhaps?
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1 jar of strawberry jam or preserves
- 1 can of cream cheese or vanilla icing
- Food coloring (either black, or red and green to make black)
- 20 Gummi Savers (2 packages)
Making Monster Eyes (Here’s Lookin’ at You)
- Turn on your CD player and play “Somebody’s Watching Me” from Rockwell 🙂
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Cut the very top off of a marshmallow. You can use either a knife or kitchen shears, but kitchen shears are easier to use and make a cleaner cut. Place the bottom piece of the marshmallow on the cookie sheet.
- Use your fingers to hollow out the center of the marshmallow.
- Fill the center with ½ teaspoon of strawberry jam.
- Fit the marshmallow top back onto the marshmallow bottom.
- Repeat for remaining marshmallows.
- Refrigerate marshmallows for 30-45 minutes. This helps the top and bottom pieces adhere to each other.
- Place the cookie sheet in a 250 degrees Fahrenheit oven, and bake for 6-8 minutes. The marshmallows should be puffy and soft, but not brown.
- Remove the marshmallows from the oven – they should have flattened out some, as shown in the picture. Don’t worry if they don’t look perfect – the icing will fix that.