By Chris Molnar
“Doom” has several different definitions. The most familiar meaning of the word is “destruction,” or “ruin,” but an older definition is fate or destiny. These cupcakes incorporate both meanings of the word. They are decorated for Halloween to look like a little slice of the graveyard, but they can also hide fortune, to reveal the destinies of you and your guests. Of course, the fortune-telling part is all fun and games. The cupcakes, on the other hand, are seriously delicious! For convenience, this recipe uses a mix. However, if you have a favorite chocolate cupcake recipe, feel free to substitute.
- 1 18.5 oz box of devil’s food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of water
- ½ cup oil
- 1 full-sized package of Oreos
- White icing
- Chocolate icing
- Paper muffin cups, preferably with a Halloween theme
- Extra paper muffin cups or parchment paper for the fortunes
- Prepare the fortunes using paper muffin cup paper or parchment. You can do vague, Chinese fortune-cookie type fortunes, future epitaphs, future causes of death, etc. The type of fortune you’ll use will depend on your audience. Epitaphs and causes of death are obviously not appropriate fortunes for children. If you have small children that might choke on pieces of paper, skip the fortunes altogether. Choose weird, funny and totally outlandish causes of death for your fortunes- “You will be torn apart by a pack of rabid Chihuahuas” is funny. “You will die of cancer” is not. Write the fortunes and roll them up.
- Follow the directions on the box of cake mix: Using a mixer, beat all ingredients together for 2-3 minutes.
- Fill the muffin cups about halfway full.
- Put one fortune in each cup and spoon more batter on top. Leave the top of the paper sticking out.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Frost the top of the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting, leaving the ends of the paper sticking up out of the frosting.
- Dip an Oreo in the white frosting and set it on top of the cupcake, just behind the fortune. Coat the cookie with additional white frosting if necessary.
- Crush half of the Oreos, and sprinkle some of the crumbs on top of the chocolate frosting to look like dirt.
- Put 2 tablespoons of chocolate frosting into the corner of sandwich bag and snip off the tip of the corner. Squeezing the icing through the corner of the bag, write “RIP” on the tombstone.
- Repeat for remaining cupcakes.
- Set them out on a platter. Tell your guests to each choose a cupcake and have fun reading the fortunes out loud. Enjoy!
2 Responses to “Doom Cupcakes”
Leave a Comment
All About Halloween
'How To' Halloween
Costumes, Masks & Accessories
Pirate's Treasure Chest
Party Tips, Recipes & Activities Spooky Stories, Legends & Myths Happy Halloween Magazine Halloween Links